10 Finalists Will Re-Invent the Hat in element14 Design Competition
“Hats Off” Challenge provides participants with the Adafruit GEMMA and accessory pack
CHICAGO – August 14, 2014 – element14, along with partner Adafruit, today announces the finalists in its “Hats Off” global design challenge. Participants will re-imagine the hat into new wearable technology solutions using the Adafruit GEMMA and an accompanying accessory pack.
The Adafruit GEMMA is a tiny Arduino-compatible sewable microcontroller capable of lighting up a constellation of LEDs based on simple sensors and actions. Competitors will develop hat-like garments that provide functionality beyond shielding the wearer from sun or rain.
“Our intent with this challenge was to encourage people to create wearable technology devices offering real-world solutions,” said Dianne Kibbey, Global Head of Community, element14. “Submissions came from countries spanning the globe, and in addition to being functional they were all creative and intriguing. We’re excited to see the proposed projects come to life.”
The finalists, as well as their countries of origin and proposed builds, are as follows:
- Todd Cowley (U.S.) – light-up Iron Man helmet
- Tyler Crumpton (U.S.) – extra-sensory Case Cap
- Gladys Delgado-Garced (U.S.) – matching dog and owner umbrella hats with directional capability
- Barbara Eldredge (U.S.) – jaunty fascinator that changes color and intensity based on the wearer’s amount of movement
- Miles Flavel (Australia) – jack-in-the-box style top hat featuring a doll that tips its hat with the push of a button
- Lori Griffiths (U.S.) – electronic Mardi Gras hat
- Reed Morse (U.S.) – furry hood with animated eyes
- Carl Penny (Canada) – modified scifi gas mask
- Claire Price (United Kingdom) – electronic Easter bonnet
- Lourens Smit (South Africa) – hat to provide visibility in dark environments and animate in social situations
Along with the Adafruit GEMMA, the finalists will be provided with the following:
- Adafruit Micro Lipo - USB LiIon/LiPoly charger - v1
- Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v 500mAh
- Four Flora RGB NeoPixels V2
- Stainless Thin Conductive Thread - 2 ply - 25 meter/85 ft
- Photo cell (CdS photo-resistor)
- Small Alligator Clip Test Lead (set of 12)
- GEMMA miniature wearable electronic platform
- USB cable - A/MiniB - 3ft
- Tactile On/Off Switch with Leads
- Fast Vibration Sensor Switch
- Small Enclosed Piezo w/Wires
The competition will conclude October 31, 2014. Competitors will be judged on their creativity, quality of documentation and the execution of their project. The grand prize winner will receive an Oculus Rift from element14 and one complete FLORA Collection parts pack from Adafruit.
“The submissions were all so great, it was hard to pick just a few competitors,” said Becky Stern, Director of Wearable Electronics at Adafruit. “I'm excited to see what functional hats and costumes are developed through the course of the competition, and look forward to watching the creative process unfold on the element14 Community.”
For more information on the “Hats Off” design challenge, visit the homepage.
About the Premier Farnell Group
Premier Farnell plc (LSE:pfl) is a global leader in high service distribution of technology products and solutions for electronic system design, production, maintenance and repair. It trades as Farnell element14 in Europe, Newark element14 in North America and element14 across Asia Pacific. With sales last year of £968m, the Group is supported by a global supply chain of more than 3,500 suppliers and an inventory profile developed to anticipate and meet its customers’ needs.
Premier Farnell works with key strategic suppliers to bring to market development kits in a variety of applications, enabling it to support the customer from design concept through to production.
The latest products, software, services and solutions from trusted supplier partners are all available through 43 local language transactional websites, with customer support provided by degreed engineers. The element14 Community allows buyers and engineers to access a wide range of independent technical information, tools and the latest resources.
For news updates from Premier Farnell and element14 visit:
Premier Farnell Key facts
- Operations in 36 different countries
- More than 4,300 employees
- More than 3,500 leading suppliers
- More than 500,000 products stocked with access to over four million more on demand
- Leaders in providing information on REACH, Conflict Minerals and EU RoHS legislation
For more information visit the website at Premier Farnell.
Global Head of PR
Tel: +44 207 851 4145
Global PR Agency:
Darren Willsher/Andrew Hill
Tel: +44 208 408 8000
PR Manager, Europe and Global
Tel: +44 113 279 0101
PR Manager, APAC
Tel: + 65 6671 8769
North America Contact:
PR and Social Media manager
Tel: +1 773 907 5199
North American PR Agency
Walker Sands Communication
Tel: +1 312 648 6010